Skritter 2.0 Issues - Updating, squigs, lists, etc

Hi Skritter team and users,

I have been using Skritter (subscribed) for nearly a week and have encountered some issues so far which has lead me to go to the Legacy (1.0) version of Skritter instead (web version/browser). I had used my android mobile for the trial version but from past experience with spaced repetition/flashcard apps, my phone doesn’t have the storage space to deal with it and I don’t have constant wifi access thus the switch to the web version.

From my brief look at the forum, a few users have mentioned some of these issues but they are not properly resolved (and this has been the case for over a year! I’m guessing it’s hard to fix) or they’re isolated. I’ve got multiple problems bundled together so maybe from a debugging standpoint this could be useful (or entirely useless). Here are my problems:

1. Not saving feedback. Despite getting characters right every single time and marking them as “easy” they constantly recur. Characters like ‘yi’, ‘ren’, very easy ones I have to constantly review. It was driving me nuts. This makes Skritter completely useless and defeats the purpose of having a spaced repetition system! Thankfully this seems fixed in the Legacy version.

2. Not updating Lists. Lists are set to add as review. I read that clicking add new could solve the above problem (due to potentially too few characters being in the queue) but often pressing ‘add more’ with the button will fail and will only work after mashing the button. Even then, those so called new characters don’t actually show up for review (!!!). I had been studying the same bunch of 50 or so characters for the last few days and only one or two new ones are added (and only sometimes if you refresh the page). It’s extremely inconsistent. But I can’t refresh the page every time I review a character. I even went into Lists manually to add and then went back to study - which had the weird issue of saying there were characters to review, but not actually getting to them or lowering it in any consistent way. Just those same characters…

3. Takes forever to add a mnemonic. Not sure if this is related to the other problems, but saving mnemonics requires waiting half a minute or something until they’re saved. This was quite annoying so I just stopped saving them (this will probably be a problem once I get to more complex characters).

3.5. Other possible save issue: When the green ‘saved’ icon appears at the bottom of the page for normal character review it does so infrequently (maybe every 50 reviews) and takes about the same time.

1. Raw squig detection is dodgy at times. The most obvious case of this is for characters with tiny ‘dot’ like strokes like yang2 (sheep), yan2 (speech). It will interpret huge horizontal lines as the ‘dot stroke’ which especially for these characters is quite problematic as they already have a lot of horizontal strokes in them. Sometimes I had made large strokes by accident or in a vain attempt to get the program to detect my strokes (nothing wrong with my tablet but how squigs are interpreted as correct or not - any spatial deviation from the practice character is often interpreted as incorrect… e.g. if you write a slightly smaller version of the character it will get confused and completely ruin the spatial relationship between strokes. I find it a lot easier to write slightly smaller versions because the web version drawing space is too large IMO. If it was the legacy size it would be a lot better (and I notice you can choose the size - why isn’t this a feature in 2.0??). I find the squig detection is better in Legacy too, probably partially due to this though overall 2.0 is cleaner especially with its hints (so I have mixed feelings about having to use Legacy).
    I found the normal stroke correction a bit annoying as well for this same reason
    Note that I am using a Wacom tablet but I suspect this isn’t the problem.

2. Using a tablet generally speaking: when clicking ‘next’ will sometimes interpret the pen down as the start of the next character. If this is a tone it is automatically marked wrong. If this is a character it will trigger ‘hints’. Maybe a very short detection delay needs to be added between accepting answers and the next character to avoid this (?)

I’m not sure how to fix the updating issue but that and the squig issue is resolved in Legacy 1.0 Skritter. Although there are features in 2.0 I really like (e.g. clearer example sentences, practice character strokes, stroke order with greater emphasis), 1.0 is ultimately the most useable for me right now.

I read something about reseting the cache that could solve this.if there was a corrupt character cache but that option doesn’t seem to be available anymore as far as I can tell. Could going through definition/tone reviews too quickly (i.e. due to the tablet) cause corrupt files??
Other information: At one stage I had turned off the Tone, Definition, etc prompts (everything but Writing) but ended up turning these back on later. Maybe this did something, maybe it didn’t, I don’t know.

Browser: Tried Waterfox (x64 bit Firefox) and Chrome. Same updating issue for both, and these are apparently supported browsers?
Other possibly relevant information: I live in Australia (notorious for its generally crap internet).

Hope someone can help. :slight_smile: I’d like to get the most out of 2.0. IMO an option to change the drawing space size in 2.0 would be a huge help for the squig issue.

2 Likes

It looks like we have issues open for each of the things you’ve mentioned, indeed some haven’t been easy to fix, while others like improving stroke detection haven’t been tended to (yet) due to other areas of development. You can expect this to improve as time progresses!

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the response.

I just wanted to update. The last few days I’ve been having the issue of repeating characters with Skritter 1.0 as well. It seems to think I haven’t recently reviewed some characters from days ago (so keeps repeating them, even though I keep reviewing them), but is correctly updating the ones I’m currently trying to learn. :cry:

I’m worried that this is going to continue and I won’t be able to use web Skritter at all…

It’s worth mentioning also that periodically Skritter 1.0 will try to save, and it will take several minutes to do so. I swear it once tried saving for five minutes. It really took a lot longer than usual. So I suspect a similar server issue to 2.0… There isn’t some way to force a connection or make the site have more frequent refreshing to the server?

Thanks

Another thing to add.

I noticed the ‘save’ button at the bottom of 1.0. I’ve been clicking it occasionally, but now I can see it I notice the counter associated with it getting bugged. Occasionally it will jump numbers (e…g 4, then 6, then 8). Once I saw it double (7-> 14). These jumps don’t follow logical progression as far as I can tell (it will count normally or skip occasionally for each character review, and then randomly jump on the next one). The “save x” sometimes turns to Saved but then on the next character will say “Save x” for the previous count.

I have no idea why it’s doing this. But this could be part of the issue and why it’s not saving properly. I hope it helps point you in the direction of a solution. Unfortunately manually pressing save is not assisting with Skritter remembering when I last checked words. It’s now been saying I haven’t reviewed some characters for 4-7 days when I have looked at them multiple times over the last few days!

Also it’s been stuck on “added 19” for awhile now…

Would you be able to provide a few examples of some of the words that are repeating even though you’ve recently reviewed them? The issue might be stemming from 2.0 and carrying over into 1.0, so I recommend sticking to legacy in the meantime while things are being addressed.

Hi Jeremy,

No, these are issues with new words that I’ve only reviewed in 1.0. It doesn’t seem specific to any particular word, it’s random and at one stage was affecting 90% of words I was reviewing at the time (not updating to “viewed within last few minutes” and stuck on “reviewed 25” hours ago or “reviewed x days ago”). I notice that sometimes the problem corrects itself on its own (after a few days)-- I was reviewing the Radicals list and recently switched to studying the HSK 1 list on its own. The issue has cropped up in both but sort of seems to fix itself… after awhile…

Sorry this can’t be more descriptive. :cry: It affects most words when it happens excepting those recently added. It just seems to take awhile for it to update properly.

Hmm, is it possible you were studying a tone prompt for instance, and then expecting a writing prompt to say that word was studied a few minutes ago? (The different parts are tracked separately, so if it’s the same word but a different part, the last studied time would be different).

That might be true… at least partially. Also I think it might not had registered as learned “enough” and thus was repeating. At any rate the issue seems to have fixed for now… Update: Actually, if I study for enough time it becomes a problem again. Huh. Wish I could be more helpful.