Bugs in Lists on Beta 2.0

Detected when making this list
https://skritter.com/vocablists/view/5332766526930944

Bug 1 - Uploading Image
On the Skritter 2.0, the site hangs when uploading an image to a list. I was able to find a workaround by going to the legacy site and uploading the cover image there.

Bug 2 - Returns not recognised in 2.0 website.
Compare viewing the list above on 2.0 in the browser to in-app (legacy), the returns I entered (to start a new line) were recognised in the legacy app but not on the 2.0 site (see ISBN/Author/Publisher area).

Bug 3 - Entering a new sentence
I had some trouble creating a longer sentence on the 2.0 site (another list) and adding a custom definition. When I created the list, it gave me an error about selecting traditional characters. (Even though I had selected an option from the drop-down).

I found the other site more intuitive for adding longer sentences (and it worked).

*Feature Comments
Attribution for Textbooks
I am not a fan that Skritter lists themselves as the maker of all lists for textbooks, even for those that they did not make (as I shared above). It takes a lot of effort to make a textbook and credit should be given where credit is due. Furthermore, the display of the real author as an “editor” is not even showing the username but an anonymous ID. I’d personally ask that Skritter list themselves as an editor and continue to give the real maker the attribution with at least their username visible.

Export Flashcards
This is a useful feature of the legacy version of Skritter (I like to print vocab lists to give me a quick overview). Please add it to 2.0

Best,
Ross

Supporting Information
I was accessing 2.0 from a desktop
Firefox 56

iPhone 7 using latest App Store version of Skritter (legacy).

2 Likes

Further to my attribution comment, in the legacy site, the “editor” anonymous number I mention above is visible. However, on 2.0 there is no attribution at all (there really should be).

Further Feature Feedback
Also, I noticed that % progress bars are not prevalent on the 2.0 site (I cannot see what % I am through a list). I find this quite motivating. If there is a tidy way (perhaps inside the progress bar itself) to reflect the % on the 2.0 site I’d be happy.

When viewing a list on 2.0, it is not possible to see which words you have already studied, which are being added etc. (represented by the green dot in the legacy version).

Bug 4
On the 2.0 Site, the pinyin column text does not wrap. If very long it starts to overlap the text in the definition column. The Hanzi (Simplified and Traditional) do wrap properly and begin writing a new line when the text is too long.

See: https://skritter.com/vocablists/view/5600682291888128/4925719725604864

nǐbàbayǐqiánzuòshénmegōngzuò
(maybe this is due to spacing, but hopefully a better solution can be found)

1 Like

I was able to reproduce the list image uploading problem and have opened an issue!

The way the description area is being displayed on 2.0 for lists is how it’s set up to render the text, right now it’s not set up to include new lines it looks like. In the future a good solution might be to have an input field for the ISBN/Author/Publisher (opposed to being grouped in the description).

The sentence system is being totally reworked, however in the meantime I recommend sticking with the legacy site to create sentences.

We exchange 2 free months of subscription time for any textbook list completed we don’t offer-- when you publish it as a textbook it sends a notification that a new list is being published to the textbook area for review (you could also email us as well, though)! It looks like the editor area was overlooked on the 2.0 design, it should be that the person who made it is listed as the editor, while Skritter would be the “creator” once it’s published.

More word features (like exporting) will be coming to 2.0 as well!

You can view the progress percentage of a list by going into it’s screen (by clicking it’s name), and then by hovering over the progress bar. This isn’t as easy of an indication as it could be in other areas, so we’ll consider how this is working moving forward.

I’ve also opened an issue for the pinyin column text not wrapping in the list section view, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.