Android app doesn't hold Skritter settings

Hello,

I’m using the app and have found two problems.

1 - When I try to enable/disable a settingand leave the Settings hub, the settings are not applied randomly. Usually I have to change more than one setting in order to the app save the Settings.

2 - When I leave the app and enter again, the ‘Hide Reading’ setting is back to ‘off’, but I always want it set to ‘on’.

Is there any workaround?

Hmm, do you find this behavior is consistent after deleting and reinstalling a fresh copy of the app?

Thank you for the answer.
Unfortunately, reinstalling the app didn’t fix the problem. It doesn’t preserve the “Enable Reading” setting and, for some reason, doesn’t appy a setting when I change it.

More information:
My account ID: 742794362
Skritter version: 0.124.2750
Smartphone Model: LG-H8180P
Android version 6.0, kernel version 3.10.84

If anyone could find out what it can be done, please let me know.

I found a related problem: https://discourse.skritter.com/t/skritter-lost-my-raw-squigs-setting/997

@benzadeus It looks like the issue was caused be your avatar photo being in an unsupported format. I have changed it to one of our default avatars and you should be able to save settings again.

This solved my problem. Thank you very much.

1 Like

same problem here. It just doesn’t save the settings. That’s very annoying.

I hope sb. can help me solving the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

I’m experiencing the exact same problem. Could someone help me solve it? Re-installing the app didn’t work.

Hi Guys!

It sounds like you might be able to fix the issue, by uploading another avatar as your profile image. If you upload an avatar image via: https://skritter.com/account/settings/general, does it seem to fix the problem with the settings not saving?

I didn have an avatar before so I uploaded one but the problem still persists. Do you have any other idea what may be causing this problem?
Skitter worked fine on my previous phone (Nexus 5x) which broke down upon which I had to resort to using my old phone again.

What type of device are you using, version of Android, and is it the Android beta, or older version of the app? Hope to figure this out for you soon!

Thanks for helping me out! I’m currently using a Moto G 4G (2014) with Android 5.1. I have downloaded the latest version of Skritter from the play store.
I want to turn off the “auto adding” function. I’m kind of busy with work these days and I can’t keep up with 10 new words being added every day :wink:

I’ve changed the setting on your account so auto adding is off and it should be working now!

Hi, this issue still ha not been resolved. Disabling the auto adding function on your end does not seem to have worked. I bought a new phone in the meanwhile (huawei p9) so it seems thay the issue is linked to my account rather than to my phone. I tried changing my avatar but it did notsolve the problem either.

Hmm, I see the word adding frequency is still set to “manual add only” for your account. I’m thinking this may have something to do with the build you’re using. Would you be willing to give the Android beta client a test? https://blog.skritter.com/2016/12/new-android-beta/

When in Study settings, the simplified box is checked for me in the character styles section. I want to study both traditional and simplified simultaneously. I am able to check the traditional box and save settings, there is a window that pops up warning me these settings do not retroactively pull traditional characters from words I had originally studied in simplified, I’ve tried both the red and the blue button. I then go to a different page, but when I go back to the study settings page the traditional box is unticked again. I just tried it one more time, none of the settings save after I change and click save then move to a different page in 2.0.

It looks like we’ve spotted your emails and have replied there! I thought I should hop on here as well to let you know in case you see this first.

I just installed the android app two days ago and was disappointed to find out about this bug and that it seems to have been around for a long time.

Like others, I can not change settings in the app.
The suggested “change to default avatar” solution also doesn’t help.
Any other solutions?

Been using Skritter and the iOS app for years and have been very happy with both but sadly find the android app a bit slow and by first impression also buggy and not so smooth compared to the iOS app.
Is this due to differences on the device I’m using or differences in the apps?
I have Xperia Z5, android version 7.0. Skritter app on iPhone 5 was always a joy to use.

Hey, @nurumayu I sent you a PM about how to fix your account!