'Add characters when adding words' incorrectly enabled

I’ve been aware of this for at least a few weeks, but I wanted to recheck all my settings to make sure it wasn’t a bug. I’m getting a lot of terms in my review list that make me think this function is enabled even though it appears to be disabled in the settings (and I’ve checked the legacy and 2.0 settings multiple times).

What I’m seeing is a single character followed by a combination (or occasionally two successive combinations) immediately after that involve that same character. Occasionally the combination appears first, and then the single character immediately after (but only one character; never both that I can recall).

A term here and there could be expected, but this happens multiple times per day, every day, which is a little beyond the realm of pure coincidence. Not to mention that I didn’t start my lists simultaneously so that they’d track along with each other at similar difficulty levels as study progressed; I completed my entire single-character list before even starting the vocab list.

To my best recollection, I’ve never enabled this feature, and I haven’t always seen evidence of its apparently having been enabled somewhere. I can’t say when it started, but it’s probably been within the last 2 months.

I have the same issue. Couldn’t de-activate this “single characters” function neither in the iOS app nor on the website, so I completely started over, deleting all my words/lists/stats, reset the app, deleted the cache, etc. But I still cannot de-activate this function. On the 1.0 website is says “500 server error” and on the 2.0 website it says “error: we don’t know what went wrong” or something like that. On the app it shows as “de-activated”, but single characters of compound words still show up in my freshly started Skritter.
Any help from the developers?

Any help from somebody? Developers? Support team? Anybody? There seems to be a server problem on your end… how am I supposed to use Skritter with broken settings? I would appreciate some assistance.

@moelicious85 I was able to reproduce the issue on your account and have pushed a server fix that should have resolved it. Let me know if you’re still seeing the issue!

Does this resolve the server error issue, or the one causing the single characters function?

It specifically fixes the issue related to getting an error message when trying to toggle and save that setting. In terms of your issue of individual characters being added when not expected I’m not too sure. I do know we haven’t changed anything in the code surrounding that functionality in a long time. I can start looking into individual cases if you keep an eye out for them and post back here. For example if you study 苏打水 then see 苏 and feel you’ve never added that character specific then I can try to track down the history a bit.

I can’t conceive of any particular single character in my vocab list that I haven’t already added from a list of individual characters. The concern I have is that I keep seeing a character combination immediately followed by one or both constituent characters. Every so often is a coincidence. 10s of times a day isn’t.

At this point my queue is absolutely blowing up with terms added daily for review. Every little thing that trims the fat–redundant reviews–is very important to me.

@josh Thanks a lot! Seems to work fine now! :slight_smile: