Stats page says negative number of items added

The 1.0 and 2.0 web sites are both telling me right now that I’ve added <0 items over the past month. For example, I’ve added -5 character writings over the past week, -1 word writings, and -1 word definitions. All the rest are 0, but all of them should be 0, as I haven’t added anything for a while (to my dismay). I know there’s the option in the 1.0 site to recalculate my stats, but I wanted to make sure you guys were aware of the bug and could look into it before I do anything potentially forensically destructive.

I believe they are resolving these issues, because I have similar and asked them about it. Some kind of API issue, I don’t understand with an api is, but it must be important. I want a BLT, well vegan one!

2 Likes

Hm, this isn’t an API bug if it’s wrong on both 1.0 and 2.0. My guess is this is a weird math thing where we sum stuff up and somehow something gets negative and we don’t set it back to 0. We don’t remove words you’ve already added so everything you want to study should still be in the mix. I’ll look at the code a little more, but you can go ahead and recalculate your stats at your convenience. I appreciate you leaving the crime scene exactly as it was for a little bit!

And @kenbrec29, you can think of an API (“application program interface”) as a pipeline that takes the raw data from the database and gives it to the application (Skritter 1.0, 2.0, Android, ios…) in a way that it can use. We’re laying down new, larger pipes that point straight towards the new Skritter clients, which makes them faster and easier to work with than the old, smaller pipes we were using that would bend back and forth on their way to the application. A BLT sounds good though!

3 Likes

I encountered this problem when I switched to the beta of the android app. Calculating the totals doesn’t seem to work; while I got positive numbers in the totals, it still shows negative numbers in the stats.
While I don’t mind the problem that much - as we all, I learn Chinese for the language’s sake, not some number’s - to know how many characters I’m supposed how to write is nice as a feedback :grin:

Hey @MiaoM, can you post a screenshot with what you’re seeing (or PM me one if you don’t want to reveal your stats to everyone)? I looked into it and don’t see any negatives in your stats for the past few days. Is this only on the Android beta? What about the website(s)? Thanks!

Sorry to be the necromancer and reanimate this thread, but I’ve run into the issue again and wanted to let you know so you can do any investigation needed. I’ve been a bit busy and I don’t have a screenshot from the 1.0 site for the “today” stats when it happened, but if I look at my stats on the 2.0 site from 9/21-9/22, I have -2 word definitions added. I am 90% sure I didn’t add anything that day, so it should, of course, be 0 items added.

Same here.

Hi, just wanted to say there’s a fix for this in the next Android beta/website update (which should drop later this week). Thanks for pointing it out!

1 Like