Quick update to all of you following along and sending in feedback. It has been a few days since a new iOS update has come out, and the 3.0.12 version released on Android didn’t include any significant updates to the study experience or features. Josh has been hard at work trying to figure out exactly what the heck is happening with user reported study loops. If you’re thinking to yourself,
“study loops…, this beta has no loops. It’s perfect!”
skip past the next bit down to the Coming Soon section.
Things are a mess. Josh is making progress, and the next few updates are targeted at addressing these issues as aggressively as possible. I’ll be honest, the way we query date from Skritter’s servers isn’t ideal. Usually, it’s okay because you’re studying one style or another. But, accounts currently studying simplified and traditional characters at the same time (or even potentially previously on the account) can run into issues. Classic iOS (I like that name) deals with some of these issues by just not displaying the card. At all. Ever. The API doesn’t know that, so when we summon them bad things happen.
“Rare kanji,” and kana for users toggling “study kana” on in this app for the first time are causing some similar issues on the Japanese side. Josh is still working on it, but expect the next few updates to be targeting these problems as well!
Over the new few versions, we’ll be working on the following:
- bringing back word level mnemonics
- displaying simp/trad in vocab info drawer
- making contained characters accessible
- moving position of Pleco/Hanping buttons
- working to improve definition and mnemonic saving issue
which, btw, are saving. Yay! To see them in the app you need to log out and back in so maybe make mental notes and update in batches. Sorry, but at least the app loads a lot faster, right?!
- general fixes to lists’ displayed character style
- mnemonics and example sentences on the study screen
- Skip and I Don’t Know improvements to make moving through prompts faster
This is a significant overhaul. Expect a new post specifically about it over the next few days
- Stats screen
- Lists screen and (hopefully) some additional fun features
- general UI improvements for Android and iOS devices