Skritter Beta adding words too quickly (and freezing)

Chrome OS, Chrome browser.

Once I have finished with the due words for the day, Skritter Beta will begin adding words at an unsustainable rate. I mean that ~4-6 words will be added while I am studying one word. This keeps on happening until I refresh the page, where some of the many words added are registered as words that I need to study before words are added automatically again.

In potentially unrelated news, the Beta page will occasionally hang and become unresponsive while studying. The next time it happens I’ll attach output from the dev console.

Refreshing is no longer solving the problem, and new words will not be integrated into review lists at all on the Beta site. This has resulted in ~40 new words being added one after another.

We’ve identified the potential point where this issue might be occurring and are working on a fix for it.

In the meantime, to prevent adding too items, it might be a good idea to disable auto adding. An update should be out soon that will allow you to toggle it directly from the study screen using the settings gear. You can also log into http://legacy.skritter.com and change it in your settings as well.

It’s live on the 2.0 website now! As a short-term solution while we work on the code, you can go to the study page, and in the study options (gear icon), you can uncheck “auto adding”.

Thanks for the workaround!

Related to the site occasionally hanging, here is a screen shot of the dev console when it occurred.

I also saw the Android Beta app adding words too quickly the other day - is this linked / a known issue?

@dantweinand, thanks for the screenshot! That helps a lot!

@meishala yes, it’s a known issue we’re actively working on. The ability to disable auto-adding in 2.0 was just the first step. We want the add rate to be a controllable parameter.