Skritter 2.0 core "Study" functionality not working

Presently, on Skritter 2.0 I cannot get the Study functionality to work in any browser. I have tried Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge; I am using Windows 10.

When I click on the “Study” button on the Dashboard, which takes you to skritter.com/study, the loading page gets hung on “Fetching next” in every browser. If I try to study an individual list, the UI partially loads (background, borders, colors, etc.) but none of the content (writing panel on the left and information panel with kanji reading/meaning on right) loads, and it is stuck like this.

I seem to be able to use Skritter 1.0 just fine for studying though. This issue just surfaced for me yesterday; 2.0 has been working completely fine before now. Is there a fix for this or is it a known issue?

While I can use Skritter 1.0 alright for reviews, 2.0’s learning mode has really spoiled me in learning how to write new kanji and I’d love to get back to using it for learning more kanji (and I like the other extra functionalities of 2.0 too).

@Lindt8 Sorry to hear that you’re having issues on 2.0. I’m not able to reproduce them over here, but I’d like to get a bit more information if I can. Could you please share any console errors that you’re seeing while you’re study trying to fetch items?

To access the console log you right-click in the browser tab and find “Inspect” from your options. After that you’ll want to find Console from the list of available options. Whatever is displayed there might help development figure out what the heck is going on over there. It should look something like this when it’s open. (I’m using Chrome)

Glad Legacy is working for you for now, but hope to get 2.0 up and running again for you soon!

Sure! I’ve got Dropbox links to the console’s .log text files at the end of the post. Unfortunately, I’ve had to butcher a few of the links due to the new user restrictions; just remove the extra space I put in the URLs right before the ‘.com’ to view them.

First, I just loaded the console after already navigating to the Study page. Below is a screenshot of the console, and the first .log file at the end corresponds to this.

Since I saw a message mentioning my uBlock plugin, I disabled it and tried again (to no avail). That’s the second .log file linked at the end. Next, I launched the console before navigating to Skritter at all. With the console open, I navigated to my Dashboard and got some errors despite the page loading, presumably, just fine (third .log file). Keeping the console open still, I clicked the Study button, and it added a few additional errors to the ones already present (fourth .log file)

Since I do have a bunch of plugins installed in Chrome, I wanted to see what the Firefox console looked like where I’ve installed nothing extra. I’ve attached a screenshot below and a (lengthier) .log file at the end.

i.imgur .com/Qu1J7rz.png

Please let me know if there’s any more information you’d like me to provide!

Chrome console logs:
Chrome_skritter.com_console_after_clicking_Study.log
[Chrome_skritter.com_ublock_disabled.log]
dropbox .com/s/1c8a53wprt5vgvk/Chrome_skritter.com_ublock_disabled.log?dl=0
[Chrome_skritter.com_Dashboard_console.log]
dropbox .com/s/7b5cx7fwm2qrfrl/Chrome_skritter.com_Dashboard_console.log?dl=0
[Chrome_skritter.com_Dashboard_and_Study_console.log]
dropbox .com/s/rc7fmz3udwlqjwj/Chrome_skritter.com_Dashboard_and_Study_console.log?dl=0

Firefox console log:
[Firefox_skritter.com_console.log]
dropbox .com/s/tid4tac2vc018s1/Firefox_skritter.com_console.log?dl=0

I’m experiencing the same issue with 2.0 Japanese. I get pretty much the same console log (without the addblock errors). Legacy version works for me fine, I’m pretty sure 2.0 worked fine last week.

Others who are studying Japanese have been reporting this problem as well. The development team is looking into it! In the meantime the non-beta version of the Android app or legacy site could be used to study while it’s being patched up. Sorry for the inconvenience everyone.

Hi guys, sorry about that. This appears to have been an issue only with Japanese users. The bug has been fixed, but you may need to log out or clear your browser cache to see the changes on skritter.com. We will push out a hotfix for the Android beta app soon. Please let us know if you’re still having problems studying.

It’s working just fine for me now after logging out and back in. Thanks!

It’s working for me now in web and android. Thanks for the quick fix.

Ok, it seems that I can still reproduce the issue this way (Japanese, android and web):

1 log in and click study (canvas loads fine)
2 click settings and turn off audio
3 save settings

Skritter starts reloading and fetching next and gets stuck again. I can restart the app, log off and log on again and everything works again. But the audio setting is on again.

Thanks for the detailed steps @pespes! I see the issue and will look into it.

I found and fixed the issue. It will go live in the next website update/Android beta release.

1 Like