Rookie question about the daily item reviews countdown

Hi. I have a question that may seem common among most users of Skritter, but I haven’t really figured it out myself or spent much time around here. It’s also not something easy to search for with a word or two. Basically I was wondering what the deal is with Skritter’s daily number list for the reviews when it gets close to zero. More precisely when I use the app on my phone and study, the number of items for that day counts down as you go on. Sometimes when it gets to one item remaining it doesn’t proceed to zero though. It just stays at “1” for an undetermined amount of time until I’ve reviewed X amount of extra cards. Then it goes to zero. I don’t understand why this. I can’t seem to find it explained anywhere. And since I have time constraints for studying, I want to be done when I’m supposed to be done for that session. Also now that I think of it, it does happen throughout the entire list as it goes down sometimes. But there doesn’t seem to be any explanation readily available as to why. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

As far as I understand, this is b/c it keeps updating the study queue while you study. If you start studying at 4 and you finish at, say 4:30, all the items that are due between 4 and 4:30 are added to your queue as you study, to the effect that the total list of items due is longer at the end of your study time than it was at the beginning. At the same time, some items that you grade as not recalled or whose interval is very short come also up multiple times.

When it comes to the beta, another effect seems to be that there are some syncing lapses in the communication between app and server, or something that’s not entirely fine tuned.

This is all just my guess. I’m just a user.

1 Like

Good answer! :+1:

The queue does perpetually update, some items may become due that weren’t due when you started, or some of the items which were graded wrong may become due shortly after they were graded.