Not getting tone prompts for new items

Somehow it looks like I don’t get any tone prompts for new items… not sure if this is true for all of them but it seems tone prompts only appear for rather old words, not for my new ones.

Consequently my vocab lists say I don’t know shit about the tones of my new words (which is true and that’s why I want them back :smiley: )

Is this somehow broken? Or are tone prompts supposed to appear just very late? And if so, can I change this?

Here’s an example. Tone prompt is supposedly due but doesn’t appear on the Android app (ever).

As I first step I recommend restoring the app’s data to see if that resolves the issue. Here’s a link to a guide: http://docs.skritter.com/article/54-restore-data

Thanks, tried that but it didn’t help. Still no tone prompt for 只 (and lots of others) although I did all review due today.

Hi Jeremy,

I don’t know if you changed anything, but tone prompts seem to start coming up now. Got some including 只 anyway ^^

Glad to hear you’re starting to see some tone prompts now for 只. I’d say keep an eye on it, the system must have been prioritizing some other things over those when returning items due next. The system does space related items out, for example if you studied the tones for 只有 it would also push the tone review for 只 out in the future a bit.

hi
I have the exact same problem. I have tried restoring data but it behaves the same. I use mostly Android

It looks to me like this is an item adding bug. I think the reason why I finally got the missing prompt was that I added them again from other lists after restoring data. I use mostly custom lists that contain e.g. all the words from a text, so I have lots of duplicates. It seems when adding new items I get disproportionately more tone prompts than the rest because the missing ones get add from the duplicates.

I mostly use customized lists to complement my Chinese courses. I tried restoring the data and still not getting tone prompts for anything but the very first characters I studied. Any other suggestion?

A step up from restoring data would be to clear the application cache and data, which essentially restores the application to the factory defaults. Then you’ll have to login again, but it is the best way to clear out any clutter that might be causing issues.

1 Like

I did that. I have been trying for a week and still behaves the same…

Can it be that my lists were not captured correctly? I add the words one by one as I find them during my classess

@problemasmem all the item types seem to be enabled on your account. Do you have any filters enabled on the Android app that might be turning off the tone prompts?

Nope. I haven’t configured anything like that. I have kept the app as is since the beginning and specially after the restart of it

Try manually re-adding some of the words for which you’re missing the tone prompts (quick add, Shift+A on the Skritter website and them add them in the app like you would with new words). If that gets you the missing prompts, you’ve run into the same bug as me. :smiley:

The Android app is incredibly buggy.

I tried that too :frowning: … It doesn’t work

It looks as if I didn’t know how to write any tone…

Should be working now! You may have to restore the data on the Android app again. It looks like you were stuck in a review mode from having been set on the legacy site. I’ve reset the lists to add any of the tone parts that have been skipped over and they should be adding correctly now.

It works now!!!
Now I really don’t know any tone from lack of practice… I’ll have to start studying immediately.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello there. I’m sorry to dig out that topic… I’m currently having the same issue, tried restoring local data but it didn’t work. Any way to fix that? Thanks!

Looks like this was fixed yesterday via feedback email, but just letting you know it’s working now on discourse too!