New blog post: Hacking the most difficult Chinese characters (16-18)

Our new blog post discusses difficult characters in Chinese in order to help you learn them. It’s the sixth article in our series and deals with three characters: 饰, 粹 and 陵.

Hacking the most difficult Chinese characters (16-18)

1 Like

For 饰 there’s a couple of problems I can see. One is that it’s not really 布 on the right, as there’s no intersection in the top left. Second, I get confused with two similar radicals with similar pronunciations: 市, and the right part of 师 (also a unique radical, and I also confuse this with 帅).

For 粹 there’s a few different characters that look similar to the part on the right. 辛 is a common radical. 幸 is not in simplified but looks similar to 辛. Or maybe getting confused with other characters like 翠 and other characters with the 卒 radical, which are also not too common like 粹 but have same or similar pronunciation.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing this out! These things are very individual, after all, and it’s sometimes hard to see why other people find certain characters difficult. I can only see which characters people get wrong, not what they actually get wrong or why, so thanks for highlighting these similarities.

It might be good to allow people to take notes on why they got a character wrong. E.g. note that it was confused with another character. If designed well this would allow you to extract the data on why people get characters wrong.

2 Likes

That would be pretty cool when combined with some learning features we have on the drawing board!