Items due stops decreasing after a few items (5-15)

Since a few days my items due counter stops decreasing after I went through 5-15 items. Restarting the study section helps, but is only good for the next 5-15 items…

1 Like

Which version of Skritter is this happening to you on?

I’m experiencing the same problem. I thought it’s because of the sync problem in the Android 2.0-beta app, but I see the same in the web-version (again on Android).

This problem is now occurring for me after the recent updates to the beta (web/android). Items due count will go down, then it stops going down and items not due will appear, I then pop out to dashboard and pop back in and items actually due will appear again and I can work through a few of them and then items not due will appear again (rinse and repeat).

here’s a video of the bug occuring

https://pastebin.com/pcdf83b3
copy of console output showing not due items appearing

@russell359 This is actually how things were intended to work and happens most frequently as the due count gets close to zero. The system is bumping the definitions for 胃凸凹你 back a bit because you just studied the writings and it doesn’t want to show similar things so close to each other. The idea being that you just saw the definition on the writing prompt so you might not grading the definition prompt as truthfully as possible. So as you get closer to zero the due count might not go down after each prompt being studied.

That being said we did notice that it might be waiting a bit too long to present these prompts again and we’re going to update it to show them earlier. After we push this update you should see those related prompts after about 5-10 reviews.

1 Like

This way of holding items back makes sense after you explain it, but it’s not very user friendly as there is no explanation in the app as to why not due items are appearing and the count has stopped going down. That just leads to unnecessary confusion and frustration. Why are not due items appearing in the first place? If I review a not due item does that push it back, change its due status? Wouldn’t it be better if not due items don’t appear until they are due? You could have it give a message to the user that there are no more items to review at this time, please add more… About pushing back reviews on characters just reviewed, writing then definition for instance, how about not adding those to the cue together in the first place? How about adding only one aspect of a character to the cue and limit it to one aspect an hour or something, so you don’t have to push things back. But then I guess you’d end up adding too many new characters?

Duh, just read the last part of your post which answers the following question… (By the way how many not due items would we have to review before we get back to the due items again? Maybe you could have a not due item counter that goes down as you review the not due items and then when that gets to zero the due item counter goes down again… or perhaps just have the due item counter change color depending on whether you’re reviewing not due items or due items and the number changes (goes back up as it changes color), so you were reviewing and then there were 5 due items that you can’t review yet so then the counter goes up with 20 not due items so now it’s 25, but a different color then when it gets back down to 5 it changes back to the old color…)

We’ve started having some more discussions about this behavior, but the ultimately we’re going to be looking to implement something that doesn’t confuse users. We agree that having the due count not decrease consistently is confusing and gives the appearance that things are not working.

1 Like