Feature parity: adding words to lists and editing definitions

Hi,

This may be a work in progress, but wanted to ask about two missing features on 2.0:

1. On legacy Skritter it’s possible to copy and paste a long list of words (separated by new lines) into the Quick Add, and add them in one go. Currently this is not possible on Skritter 2.0 and adding large numbers of words one by one would be painful. Is there plans for this functionality?

2. I may be being stupid here, but I can’t see where it’s possible to edit the definition of added words in lists? Currently I go through each of the newly added words and copy and paste in a new definition.

Many thanks,

Byz

1 Like

Both of these are planned! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will it also be possible to edit / submit correction for character and / or pinyin? As in Legacy? Currently I can’t find this in 2.0 … it looks possible as the cursor turns to a hand in Firefox, but nothing else happens!

You can edit a definition or mnemonic, but it’s not yet possible to submit a correction. This is coming!

Here’s an excerpt from a guide showing how to edit the definition / mnemonic fields.
(You can read more guides at docs.skritter.com as they’re being made).

1. Click the green pencil icon.

2. Edit the definition or mnemonic field.

Heya Jeremy,

Any update on this feature?

I am studying Japanese, and I have created a list ranking radicals by frequency.
I added the radical ⺮ (which is a component form of ⽵) but I copy and pasted the description, without adding the fact that it is a radical only, so I won’t be able to distinguish the two when studying them. :frowning2:

I tried editing the word in Skritter 1.0 but it errors saying that the word already exists, so I am kinda snookered.

Hey there! :smiley:

Try again now-- for some reason the entry was marked as hidden, but I’ve made sure it can be added. I’m only seeing one entry for ⺮ (created over 6 years ago) with the definition “bamboo radical (on top)”. Did 2.0 allow you to create a new entry? (If so, is it still showing up)?

1 Like

I would also like to be able to edit definitions in lists.
Also, when I edit the definition field during study as suggested, it does not save.

Editing definitions in the list view has been planned, however not yet implemented. It’s in the works!

What steps are you taking to edit the definition field, when do you notice it doesn’t save, and just to confirm, is this on 2.0?

Looking forward to it!
I followed the steps explained in your post above to edit the definitions (on 2.0). I edited about 10 cards, when the reviews started repeating, and I noticed that my edits weren’t there. I tried it a few different times during this week, and one time only one definition saved. I have since figured out how to use Legacy to edit definitions in lists, before the words are added (which is the function needed for my purposes).

Ah, it does look like there is an issue on 2.0 with saving definition edits on the study page. I’ve opened an issue, thanks for the catch!

Hi Jeremy, I just added ⺮ again, and yes, it now comes up as “bamboo radical (on top)”.

Thanks.

Adding words to new list, I am trying to add 呼びます (the polite verb form of 呼ぶ).
When I add 呼びます to my list, it says “not found”, so I can click “Add Entry”.
But when I add the entry, with the correct kana “よびます”, it comes up with a JSON error saying the entry exists:

“readyState”:4,“responseText”:“{"message": "Conflicts with existing vocab.", "statusCode": 409, "error": "APIResourceConflict"}”,“responseJSON”:{“message”:“Conflicts with existing vocab.”,“statusCode”:409,“error”:“APIResourceConflict”},“status”:409,“statusText”:“Conflict”

Seems odd… maybe it’s another hidden entry? :confused:

One more doozy for you… :stuck_out_tongue:

Just tried adding “コピーします”, it doesn’t already exist, but when I try adding it, it will not accept that kana, saying “Reading must be kana only.”
-Even though the reading kana is well, kana. Just a mix of hiragana and katakana. Maybe this mixture is making it spit the dummy? :sweat:

You should be able to add 呼びます now!

In the meantime, you could add コピーする instead of コピーします. I’m not sure why it’s not allowing the new entry to be created, we’re looking into it! Purely out of curiosity, is there a reason why you would prefer to add things in polite form versus plain/dictionary?

1 Like

[quote=“Jeremy, post:14, topic:1308”]
Purely out of curiosity, is there a reason why you would prefer to add things in polite form versus plain/dictionary?
[/quote]The two major textbooks, Genki and Minna No Nihongo, both get into the ~ます form after a few chapters, and stay that way until you get into advanced grammar.
So when you’re studying for tests, they will be in this form.