Adding characters from words

Hi guys,

I have put this in the “bugs” section, but I think it maybe more of a quirk or an oversight. By way of brief context, I like to ban the writing for words I already know the characters for, and instead just study the tone, definition and pinyin. I also nuked my account a year or so back so there are a lot of characters which I know that have yet to join my cue.

The reason for my post is that while I ban the writing component on Skritter for words, I still study all four parts as I study writing for characters. The problem I am having is that if I come across a word (ie. with writing banned) for the first time then when the characters are added they only add for pinyin, tone and definition not for writing even though I have all four parts to study.

Is that able to be changed? It is a bit of a pain to have to export my characters and add then to lists to see which characters I am not studying for writing.

I hope that make sense :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Joe

Hmm, since the word the single characters come from gets banned, the “also add characters from words” option wouldn’t apply since the word gets banned, or at least I think I’m recalling that correctly. I’ll have to confirm with the dev team, but it does sound like you would unfortunately need to export the words to see which single characters haven’t been added to your queue yet.

It sounds like perhaps adding the single characters manually to a list as you add the multi-character words might be a good tactic, so you wouldn’t later have to export words and cross reference. (Any duplicates in lists would be handled and not affect scheduling, so you wouldn’t have to be very precise making sure characters aren’t duplicates).

I’m suspecting most would want single characters not showing up if the word they came from was banned (maybe not though!), so it might make the most sense set up the way it is currently, though does make it a bit tedious for your study flow.

1 Like

Thanks Jeremy :-). Worth a shot. I think I will just do as you suggest.