Add words button not working

I don’t know when this started, but the + button in the Android app (not beta) hasn’t been working for weeks. I start off each day with 300-400 words in my queue, and have to spend hours clearing it before new words are added.

Currently I have my prefs set to add up to 50 words/day, but I have to clear the queue almost to 0 before it’ll add new ones, and lately it stops adding after about 20 words, so I have to wait until the queue fills back up with review items, clear them again, and hope a few more words will add (quite often they don’t). So I just want to hit the + button to save time, but lately (I tried a couple times today, and once several weeks ago) when i hit the button I just get a white bar at the top of the screen briefly which winks back out, and no new items added.

Hope this can be fixed.

Here’s a link to a guide which might resolve the issue: http://docs.skritter.com/article/54-restore-data

Hope this helps!

Before I do that, I just want to double-check that this won’t wipe out all the edits I’ve done to the definitions. I really worry about having to go back to zero and start that over again.

Clearing the local data won’t delete any of your custom definitions. It deletes the local data on the app which then forces the app to grab all of the data again from the servers (where your study data is stored).

Thanks Jeremy. The problem cleared up on its own a day or two later, so I’m guessing it might have been server-side; I’d done phone reboots and all that already, so if it was a local thing, that should have cleared it up. Or that’s what you’d think. Obviously not everything in code and tech operates at a level that an end user would find intuitive, of course.

1 Like

Using the website in Firefox I have a similar problem:
When I click on the plus sign during studying I only get a successful response in about 60% of the cases. I don’t mean the long delay between clicking the button and the green box appearing saying “1 new word has been added”, thats another issue that’s not terribly bad.

Sometimes even though I have lists enabled from where Skritter can add new words I get the response “No more words to add”. After trying again it then works sometimes.

I tracked it down to be a timeout clientside problem: Whenever the add request takes too long the timeout error is shown as “No more words to add” to the user. This is confusing, maybe just changing the displayed text would already be enough to fix that issue temporarily.

I would love to see an “Add 5 words” or “Add 10 words” button though. It takes very long to just add a few items, the Auto Add feature has so far been too slow or broken or the new words are not displayed soon enough to keep oneself busy.

Which site is this happening on? (www.skritter.com or https://legacy.skritter.com)?

Something like this is in the works!

1 Like

Oh sorry, forgot to mention. I am using Skritter 2.0, so www.skritter.com

Hmm, I’m unfortunately not able to reproduce this. Would you be able to post anything that might be relevant in the browser console log the next time the add word button fails? Also, would you mind if I tested adding perhaps 10 words or so when logged in as your account to see if it’s account specific?

I looked at the console now here in the fast internet of my university and every POST to the add page was successful. It definitely depends on the speed of the internet connection. This time the “No more word to add” box was only shown when I was hitting the plus button multiple times very fast, so more boxes where shown then POST requests sent. The last time it showed a “no more word to add” because the POST package actually timed out. So I think I might reformulate my description of this “bug”:

Basically for slow internet connection or when hitting the add new words button (the plus sign) very often the code on the client displays an “No more words to add” box even though it just didn’t get a response from the server fast enough (or didn’t actually send a POST request). Adding words seems to be working just fine, its basically just a confusing message. So the only thing you might consider is to change is what the client code does if it doesn’t get any respose from the server fast enough. I would suggest not showing anything at all - because that is what is actually happening!

Hi, thanks for the feedback! Good news, we’re currently working on a improving the add button/functionality for the next release, so it’ll be better soon!