2 strokes appearing when writing 印 (Chinese, android 2.3.3 beta)

I’m finding that when I’m writing the left-hand side part of 印 (which actually looks very different in a cursive font, see image below) the first TWO strokes are popping up, even if I very carefully try to draw just the first one.

This is in the Integrated Chinese Level 1 Part 1 list (although I made a copy and chopped out the second half, if that makes any difference.)

(Chinese, android 2.3.3 beta)

OK, for the first time I did just manage to draw that one top stroke on its own, once. Being super-careful.

Maybe some basic explanation about how the stroke recognition works might help overcoming these kinds of problems? Or even a way of tweaking the tolerance?

I also find that the first stroke of the nu radical as on the left hand side of:
gets recognised correctly even if I just make a vertical stroke or something.

There will be a round of stroke tuning coming up which should make the overall writing experience much better. For 印, there’s a handwriting shortcut hooked up for the first two strokes, so it might have been that the way you were writing the first stroke made it register as the shortcut, thinking you wrote both strokes simultaneously. Another example of handwriting shortcuts are in 糸, or in 阝, 辶、etc. The problem with 女 picking up the first stroke even though you wrote a vertical line would be fixed in the stroke tune ups, it must not be strict enough and registers because the starting and ending points are close to what’s expected, and not putting enough emphasis on the the middle point!

2 Likes

Thanks @Jeremy for the detailed explanation. What is a “handwriting shortcut”?

Interesting that you mentioned 辶 as I have also had difficulty writing the left-hand part of 这 — I know this character OK but have found it particularly challenging at times to persuade the app that what I’m writing is what it’s looking for. :slight_smile:

Good to hear there is some “tuning” coming up… I expect this is one of the most technically challenging parts of your implementation, especially across multiple platforms.

Here’s an example of a handwriting shortcut:

The last two strokes in that are written together as one, which is an accepted handwriting shortcut. In the other examples earlier, the first two strokes of 糸 could be written together as one, (or in the similar part in 玄・約・幽・etc as well), and the first two strokes of 阝can be written as one, sort of like a “3”.

These are in place for common handwriting shortcuts, so that you can still write the way you’re used to, or instead you could do it stroke by stroke without any shortcuts (assuming the system doesn’t think you wrote one, that is)!

1 Like

I’m now using Android beta 2.3.4 and maybe it’s the “tuning up” you mentioned @Jeremy but I’m now finding it almost impossible to draw the central long hook-type stroke in 谢.
I’ve tried with and without the little hook at the bottom, and it never seems to accept what I’m drawing any more, even though what I’m drawing is pretty close to identical to what it prompts me with.

I didn’t have this problem with 2.3.3.

It might take a bit of finesse, but would you be able to take a screenshot of how you’re drawing the stoke (taking a screenshot of it completed in your handwriting, but before you lift your finger and it’s accepted/denied), making sure that after the screenshot is taken, the stroke is still not registered as correct? That should give us a good idea of how it’s not registering based on the input.

I would say that’s very unlikely, given that I have to hold down 2 buttons to take the screenshot and the timing would have to be exact.

I could maybe film it, if you can suggest a way of forcing 谢 to come up rather than me filming an entire 20-minute review session?

Also I have developer mode enabled if there are any relevant logfiles I could share?

FWIW I’m using a Griffin stylus most of the time, as I find it easier to see what I’m drawing and the screen gets less greasy.

SY355

Actually, it would be great to have a “practice” mode for when I’m having particular problems drawing a certain character (usually the ones with a large number of strokes), whereby you could switch into this mode and just practice it over and over until it sinks it, without having to move onto the next character/word. Also with access to the “teach” button so you can be prompted, maybe multiple times if required. When you’re done, you switch back to reviewing.

A practice mode sort of like this in the works! Right now the quickest way to force 謝 up would be to create a list and add some words you haven’t studied which use 謝, (in case you add something that isn’t due yet), and then single study that list, which will pull up the word with 謝 in it since it will only be showing and adding words from that list. A video would be very useful!

1 Like

More or less this, although I’ve found it quite inconsistent when trying to repeat it for the video.

Watching this over and over, I can’t see any difference between the 3rd (failed) attempt, and the 4th one which was successful.

To be clear (given the topic title), this is Android 2.3.4 beta.

1 Like

I’ve been keeping an eye on this, and have tried using a different model of stylus as well as my finger. Same issue appearing in all cases, from time to time.

I’m beginning to think it’s being too picky about the first part of the stroke, the horizontal part, and that it’s insisting that it has an upward slope. I’ve also spotted similar with the same stroke in the 月 radical.

Given how relaxed it’s being about many other strokes, including the first stroke of 谢, and very relaxed about the first stroke of 女 and related radicals (which seems to just appear even when making a single vertical stroke), this seems much too tight to me.

Agreed, it’s being way too strict with that stroke! This is a good test case for the stroke tune ups

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.